It’s a new year, which means one thing to many people: New Year’s Resolutions. What do you want to be better in 2017? Your health? Your appearance? Why not improve both by taking better care of your smile? These 5 healthy habits from your dentist in Marietta, Dr. James Merriman, will help your teeth look and feel better than ever, and make other people take notice in 2017.
- 1. Better Brushing and Flossing
- Sure, you clean your teeth every day, but are you doing it the best possible way? Many people only brush once a day, but ideally you should brush in the morning and at night. How about your gums? When was the last time you thought about them? They’re just as important as your teeth when it comes to your oral health. They protect your teeth’s sensitive roots and bring them precious blood. This year, while you’re brushing, be sure to clean where your teeth meet your gums, and you’ll be helping your smile tremendously.
- 2. Watch the Sugary Drinks
- Cavities are caused by sugar. More specifically, the naturally occurring bacteria in your mouth consumes leftover sugar on your teeth and turns it into acidic plaque. Drinks high in sugar like sodas, juices, and energy drinks speed up this process. You don’t need to give them up entirely, just limit your consumption to help protect your teeth.
- 3. Drink More Water
- This will help you with #2. Whenever you’re thirsty, you should drink water. Not only will it keep you hydrated, but it will also give your teeth a nice rinse, removing excess sugar and food particles. It’s the next best thing to brushing your teeth, so give yourself a quick rinse during the day after meals.
- 4. Stop Using Tobacco
- Both smoking and smokeless tobacco can wreak havoc on your teeth. They can create a sticky film that is difficult to brush off, which can make stains cling to them. They also leave you vulnerable to gum disease, which is actually the leading cause of tooth loss. Do whatever you can to limit your use of tobacco, and you’ll start to see dramatic changes in a short amount of time.
- 5. Come See Us!
- No dental care regimen would be complete without regular cleanings and check-ups. Two short visits each year allow Dr. Merriman and his team to clean your teeth in ways you simply can’t at home, and give Dr. Merriman the chance to catch any dental issues you might have early. You may want to take your smile to the next level with his variety of cosmetic services. He can even take care of any broken and missing teeth. All in all, Dr. Merriman and his team can do things for your teeth that you can’t on your own, and they may be exactly what your smile needs to be its best in 2017.
Want To Know More?
The year is just starting, which means you have plenty of time to see the benefits from these habits. They only take minutes a day, but can drastically change how you look and feel.
Posted on behalf of Envision Dental
130 Vann Street NE Ste #210
Marietta, GA 30060
Phone: (770) 425-0448Mon - Thur 8AM - 5PM