Dental Implant Aftercare
Knowing how to care for dental implants is important, especially if you want your investment to last as long as possible. Having these superior, custom-made tooth replacements put into place is a costly venture, but it is also one that can provide a multitude of benefits that can last a lifetime. Our restorative dental team at Envision Dental is ready to help you start your journey to a healthier, more beautiful smile by replacing your missing teeth with dental implants. We have provided what you need to know about dental implant aftercare to keep your implants looking and feeling their best.
Make Oral Hygiene a Priority
It’s not hard brushing, flossing and rinsing your dental implants. In fact, you don’t even need additional products or appliances. Instead, you will simply need a toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss and mouthwash to keep your smile clean. But just in case you are unsure of how best to clean your implants, here are a few helpful tips to remember:
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush, make sure to clean the front and back of your teeth (both real and artificial) for two minutes, twice daily. Don’t forget to clean around the gum line, too.
- You will need to use a low or non-abrasive toothpaste to keep from scratching your implant’s restoration.
- Make sure to floss between your teeth at least once a day as well as around the metal abutments.
- Opt for an antimicrobial rinse to use at least once a day to flush out bad bacteria and food particles that brushing and flossing missed.
Your dental implants can be cared for the same as your natural teeth, making it simple to perform the needed daily maintenance.
Protect Your Dental Implants
No one wants their custom restorations to become damaged, so to protect them from injury or harm, try to follow these tips:
- When engaging in sports or outdoor activities, wear a mouthguard.
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy foods, as these can damage both your real and artificial teeth.
- If you struggle with bruxism, ask your dentist about a nightguard you can wear to keep your teeth from touching while you sleep.
Just like natural teeth, dental implants can be damaged. If you are concerned an implant or attached crown is damaged, call our dental center in Marietta immediately to schedule a checkup and possible implant repair.
Schedule Regular Checkups and Cleanings
Your dental implants need routine dental care, and it is important you see our dental team for regular dental checkups and cleanings. During these visits, your dentist will examine your oral cavity and check your restorations for any signs of damage or problem areas occurring in your mouth that could potentially cause problems for your dental implants.
These visits also allow you to address any concerns you might be having, as well as ask questions about the state of your implants and tips on how you can improve your oral hygiene routine at home.
It’s normal to be concerned about various problems developing while wearing dental implants, but if you notice any of the following, make sure to contact us as soon as possible:
- Bleeding occurring around your implants
- An implant feels or becomes loose
- You begin to feel swelling or tenderness around the implant
- Your soft tissue becomes discolored and sore
Envision Dental is your source for quality, lasting dental implants, as well as dental implant aftercare and maintenance. Contact our office in Marietta, GA, if you need to schedule a routine implant checkup or a dental implant repair.